Statement of Purpose
Pursing a master’s degree is a serious commitment. It is challenging but very rewarding and it is something that requires a great deal of thought and consideration. At ICSW,it is important for students to feel invested in the program and for there to be a good match between the student and what the program has to offer.
To help us gain a better understanding of you – your interests, goals, experiences, qualities, etc. – please compose a 5-8 page (double-spaced, standard font and margins) narrative with the following:
- Brief autobiographical statement.
- Statement of professional interests and goals (e.g., explain your interest in seeking a master’s degree in clinical counseling and psychotherapy and your future aspirations). Include why ICSW would be a good match.
- Summary of any past clinical training, work, or related volunteer experience in the field of psychology, counseling, or social work.
- Qualities that would make you a good graduate student.
- Qualities that would make you a good counselor (e.g.,Why do you think you are suited to the field of professional counseling?).
- How would you manage the responsibilities in your life while being a student (personal, financial, employment, etc.)?