Statement of Purpose
Pursing a doctoral degree is a serious commitment. It is challenging but very rewarding and it is something that requires are great deal of thought and consideration. At ICSW, it is important for students to feel invested in the program and for there to be a good match between the student and what the program has to offer.
To help us gain a better understanding of you – your interests, foals, experiences, qualities, etc. – please compose a 5-8 (double spaced, standard font and margins) narrative with the following:
- Brief autobiographical statement
- Statement of professional interests and foals (e.g. explain your interest in seeking a doctoral degree in clinical social work and your future aspirations). Include why ICSW would be a good match.
- Summary of any past clinical training, work, or related volunteer experience in the field of psychology, counseling, or social work.
- Qualities that would make you a good graduate student.
- Qualities that would make you a good psychotherapist (e.g., Why do you think you are suited to the field of psychotherapy?).
- How would you manage the responsibilities in your life while being a student (personal, financial, employment, etc.)?