Areas of Interest & Approaches to Practice
Concept Mapping; Program Evaluation; Elder Abuse and Neglect; At Risk Youth; Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL
- A.M., University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- B.A., Western Illinois University, Macomb, IL
- L.C.S.W., Illinois
Courses Taught at ICSW
- RM 741: Dissertation Seminar I
- RM 742: Dissertation Seminar II
- RM 621: Quantitative Methods
- RM 632: Qualitative Methods
- CCP 571: Research Process and Techniques
Additional Faculty Roles
- Research Advising
Awards & Honors
- Summer Training on Aging Research Topics—Mental Health (SMART—MH) Fellowship, 2003
- Harriet Stuff Sociology Scholarship, Western Illinois University, 1998
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
- American Evaluation Association, Member
- Concept Systems Research Association, Member
- Journal of Community Mental Health, Ad Hoc Peer Reviewer
- Ridings, John. (2015). The development of a concept map for understanding spiritual integration in evangelically based social service organizations. Journal of Religion & Spirituality in Social Work: Social Thought. doi:10.1080/15426432.2015.1009231
- Ridings, J. Piedra, L., Capeles, J., Rodriguez, R., Frier, F., & Byoung, S. (2011). Using concept mapping to identify culturally relevant strategies for the development of a Latino youth program. Journal of Social Service Research, 37(1), 34-49.
- Cotton, C. & Ridings, J. (2011). Getting out/Getting in: The DSM, political activism, and the social construction of mental disorders. Journal of Social Work in Mental Health, 9(3), 181-205.
- Conrad, K., Ridings, J., Iris, M., Fairman, K., Anetzberger, G., & Rosen, A. (2011). Conceptual model and map of financial exploitation of older adults. Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, 23(3).
- Iris, M., Ridings, J., Conrad, K. (2010). The development of a conceptual framework of understanding elder self-neglect. The Gerontologist, 50(3), 303-315.
- Ridings, J., Powell, D., Johnson, J., Pullie, C., Jones, C., Jones, R., & Terrell, K. (2008). Using concept mapping to advance community building: The African American Initiative at Roseland. Journal of Community Practice, 16(1), 39-62.
- Rosas, S.R., & Ridings, J.W. (2016). The use of concept mapping in measurement development and evaluation: Application and future directions. Evaluation and Program Planning. Available online: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2016.08.016