Karen E. Baker is on the faculty of ICSW in the distance-learning program where she serves as a clinical consultant and dissertation committee member. She is a psychoanalyst and maintains a full-time practice in psychoanalysis and psychotherapy in Ann Arbor, Michigan with children, adolescents and adults. Karen is the Past- President of the American Association for Psychoanalysis in Clinical Social Work (AAPCSW). She continues to serve on the National Board as the co-chair of the Child and Adolescent Committee.
In addition, she is the Child Development Director of Allen Creek Preschool, Ann Arbor, Michigan, which is a preschool whose curriculum and philosophy is predicated on psychoanalytic developmental principles. She is also a Consulting Editor of Psychoanalytic Social Work.
Areas of Interest & Approaches to Practice
Clinical Practice with Children, Adolescents, and Adults; Applied Psychoanalysis in Schools, Object Relations, Contemporary Ego Psychology; Relational Theory
- B.A., Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI
- M.S.W., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Awarded certificate for completion in the theory and practice of psychoanalysis, Michigan Psychoanalytic Council
- L.M.S.W., Michigan
Courses Taught at ICSW
- CFDL 653-1: Adolescence and Emerging Adulthood
- CLDL612: Perspectives in Clinical Formulation
Additional Faculty Roles
- Clinical Consultation
- Dissertation Committee
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
- American Association for Psychoanalysis in Clinical Social Work (AAPCSW)
- The Michigan Council for Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy (formerly known as Michigan Psychoanalytic Council)
- Clinical Social Work Association
- American Psychological Association (Division 39)
- National Association of Social Work
- Association for Child Psychoanalysis
- The Transformation of Deadness to Human Relatedness: A Case Presentation, Smith College Studies in Social Work.
- From “It’s Not Me” to “It Was Me After All”: A Case Presentation of a Patient Diagnosed with Dissociative Identity Disorder, Psychoanalytic Social Work.
- “My Brakes are Broken”: Case Presentation of a Latency Age Boy Struggling with Affect Regulation, Psychoanalytic Social Work.
- Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis: One Hundred Years After ‘Little Hans’. Co-Editor with Jerrold Brandell of a Special Issue of Psychoanalytic Social Work (“Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis”),which was subsequently published in 2013 as a hardcover book; Routledge Press, London.
555 E. William St. Apt. 25E Ann Arbor, MI 48104